with toasted breadcrumbs
and caramel sauce
The plate and the bowl are
hand-painted Gmundner Keramik,
produced in the town of Gmunden, Upper Austria.
A piece of company history:
In 1843 Franz Schleiss bought the pottery at Graben, which had been in existence since about 1500. His son, Leopold Schleiss, founded the Gmunden Earthenware Factory in 1903 on the site of the present Gmundner Keramik Manufaktur GmbH. That is why the 100th anniversary was celebrated in 2003.
Art from Gmunden
In 1909, the seeds were sown for what is now considered the special flair of the concern, the love of art, in the artistic workshop of Franz and Emilie Schleiss. Artists such as Peche, Jungnickel, Klieber and Sitte made Gmunden into an artists colony during the summer months from 1913 to 1923. Franz von Zülow and Paul Hartmann taught in the apprentice workshop for ceramic, which had been founded in 1917. Michael Powolny, Herta Bucher and Mathäus Fellinger worked closely with the Schleiss family. Sylvia Schleiss carries this tradition on today.
From ornamental art to tableware:
From the year 1923 the history of the Company is varied. In that year the Company went public and Franz Schleiss lost his majority holding. After the Company had changed hands many times, Johannes Hohenberg bought it in 1968. While at that time the main focus was on ornamental art, the production of tableware was started. The "Grüngeflammt" became the flagship of the Company and the Austrians began to identify themselves with "their" traditional tableware.
Quoted from the beautiful English language website
of Gmundner Keramik. To visit, click here.